Healthwatch Nottinghamshire

Healthwatch Nottinghamshire is an independent organisation that helps people get the best from their local health and social care services.

Watch our short animation to find out more about what Healthwatch Nottinghamshire is, and what we do!

What is Healthwatch Nottinghamshire?

Healthwatch Nottinghamshire is an independent consumer champion created to gather and represent the views of the public. Healthwatch is here to help you get the best from your local health and social care services.

What does Healthwatch Nottinghamshire do?

Healthwatch Nottinghamshire will:

  • Ask people who use health and social services in the County about their experiences, good or bad.
  • Use the information we collect to make recommendations to local service providers and commissioners
  • Speak to the public about proposed changes to services
  • Work with local organisations to seek the views of those who sometimes struggle to be heard

Does Healthwatch Nottinghamshire cover the whole County?

Yes. We cover all of the County districts of Nottinghamshire; Ashfield, Bassetlaw, Broxtowe, Gedling, Mansfield, Newark & Sherwood and Rushcliffe. There is a separate Healthwatch organisation for Nottingham City; Healthwatch Nottingham. However, we work very closely with Healthwatch Nottingham, so if you are not sure which Healthwatch you fall under you can speak to either organisation and we will pass the information between us.

What is Healthwatch England?

Healthwatch England is the national Healthwatch body. They lead the network of 152 local Healthwatch organisations, offering information, support and guidance. Local Healthwatch organisations can also escalate issues of national importance to Healthwatch England for further investigation or project work.

Who funds Healthwatch?

Healthwatch Nottinghamshire Question of the Moment: We want to know what you think about the NHS 111 service

Healthwatch is funded by the Department of Health. The Department of Health pass this funding on to each local authority in the country, who then commission and fund the local Healthwatch for their area.

Who is Healthwatch Nottinghamshire accountable to?

Healthwatch Nottinghamshire is accountable to our local commissioners, Nottinghamshire County Council. We are not accountable to Healthwatch England, although we do report to them on a regular basis.

What services are Healthwatch Nottinghamshire interested in?

Healthwatch Nottinghamshire covers ALL health and social care services. We want to hear about everything from GPs to maternity services, care homes to children’s centres, and day centres to ambulances. We also cover children and young people’s services, not just adults. Does Healthwatch deal with health and social care complaints?

If you’re not happy with the care or treatment you’ve received from a local service, or you’ve been refused treatment for a condition, you have the right to complain, have your complaint investigated, and be given a full and prompt reply. Healthwatch does not deal with these formal complaints, but we will always point you in the right direction of who to complain to if you are not sure, or to the local independent advocacy service, POhWER, who can offer further support. We are always still interested to hear about the experience you are submitting a complaint about, so if you wish to report this to us informally alongside the complaint, you are more than welcome to do so.

If you want to find out more about how to make a formal complaint to a local service, please visit our complaints page. What powers does Healthwatch have?

Healthwatch was granted a number of powers under the Health and Social Care Act 2012 which help us to carry out our role. Under this Act:

  • Organisations who plan, run and regulate health and social care services have to listen to what we have to say
  • We have a seat on the Health and Wellbeing Board—the new body that oversees health and social care in the County
  • We have statutory powers to Enter and View services
  • We can make recommendations to services and commissioners and we are entitled to receive a response
  • We can escalate issues to bodies such as the Care Quality Commission, and to Healthwatch England, who can take them forward on our behalf

Byron Business Centre
Duke Street
NG15 7HP

Tel: 0115 963 5179

In Edwinstowe