Nottingham Castle Project update

February 2019 – Project Update

Welcome to our project news for February 2019 

Medieval model – We are so excited to announce that our 3D digital model of the Medieval Nottingham Castle has now been completed. Digital Artist Timothy Vickers has been working on this model for the last two years, using archaeological evidence and contemporary reports to construct this historically accurate rendering of the Castle as it stood in 1485. The results are breath-taking. We can only release one image now, as the full model will be revealed on opening. It will be worth the wait!

Nottingham Trent University Conference – Earlier this month our Programme Manager was delighted to speak at the Nottingham Trent University conference ‘Engaging with Nottingham Castle future: Virtual Platforms and Public Engagement with Nottingham Castle User Groups.’ This was a full day event exploring the use of digital technology within the project and celebrating the partnership between the Castle and the University. A series of exceptional speakers were present on the day, really bringing this aspect of museum work to life. (Image bottom left – from Nottingham Trent University Heritage and Museum Development Twitter – @NTU_Museum)

Fire Service training – The Castle site was host to the Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service this month as they conducted some confined space rescue training in some areas of the site currently under construction. We’re glad the Castle could assist in such a valuable training exercise. 
See the full story on GF Tomlinson’s website

Back to top


Jade’s Column – Looking forward to #CaveCity

The planning for Cave City: Nottingham Underground Festival 5 – 9 April is well underway for its second year running with some new and exciting caves to see such as People’s Hall and the Rock Cemetery Catacombs as well as some old favourites such as yoga in the park tunnel and Peel Street caves tours. 

The Urban Rooms (38 Carrington Street) will be the hub for the Caves festival showcasing amazing cave photography by local photographer Lamar Francois and our Caves Virtual Reality kit.

Volunteers – we need you! – Just as with last year, we will need volunteers to help out at some of the events so if you are free at any point over the time period and would like to volunteer then drop us an email at

Please keep an eye out for a bulletin in the near future with a link to the events listing. There will also be updates and links to book at the What’s On Website.

Back to top

Peel Street

A Lamar Francois photo of the Peel Steet caves


Timelapse – Site life updated

Check out the latest views from our on-site cameras

In partnership with G F Tomlinson, three time-lapse cameras  record activity on the site of the new Visitor Centre, the Service Courtyard (soon to be the new Robin Hood gallery), and the scaffold. 

These links are on our website on the construction page

Back to top

Stained glass composite

Camm Bros. stained glass window

The project team was excited to take a visit to the collections stores this month to take a look at the Camm Bros. stained glass window, which will be reinstated in the ground floor galleries as part of the project. 

The individual panels which make up this beautiful window have been in storage for some years now, and it was wonderful seeing them at the start of their new journey. The panels will be cleaned, and a bespoke frame carefully designed and manufactured to protect and display the window to its full potential.

The Camm Bros. window was commissioned for the opening of the Museum and Art Gallery in 1878 – we are really happy that it will be back in its rightful place for the next grand opening at the end of transformation works.

Look out for mention of the window in future newsletters, as we are soon to launch a research project to commemorate its reinstatement.

Back to top

Prison door

Object of the month

This month, we examine a prison door and it’s links to the city’s rebellious history

What is it? – Our choice this month is a studded oak prison door from the Old Town Hall at Weekday Cross in Nottingham.

Why is it significant? – The Old Town Hall stood on the site of the Nottingham Contemporary and housed the town gaol from 1449 until 1846. Some trials were also held there until the Guildhall on Burton Street opened in 1877.

Our prison door is a reminder of Nottingham’s turbulent history when the gaol was often busy during periods of social and economic unrest. A report by a prison reform charity in 1826 stated that the town gaol held prisoners sentenced to hard labour. It also criticised the lack of separate cells for sick prisoners and the location of several sleeping cells in underground caverns.

Tell me more – From 1842 until its merger with the House of Correction on St John’s Street in 1846 the town gaol only housed debtors. The Old Town Hall was finally demolished to make way for the Great Central Railway tunnel. At an auction of contents on 3 December 1894 the entire contents, including the flooring of the condemned cell, went under the hammer.

This object will feature in the new Rebellion Gallery currently being designed by exhibition designers Casson Mann.

Read more about the old Guild Hall and Prison of Nottingham
Picture Nottingham poster

Back to top